With a unique (and hilly) landscape adorned with candy colours and beautifully tiled facades, Lisbon offers breath taking views and plenty of local culture and history. In recent years, the city has also become a must-visit destination for savvy travellers and design lovers.
After finding your unique stay in this magical city, there is plenty to see and do. Here are some of my favourite picks:
1) MAAT ( Art, Architecture and Technology Museum): designed by the London-based Amanda Levete Architects, the museum opened in 2016. The building's curved white facade sits by the river Tagus in sharp contrast to the city's landscape and is a must-see for architecture lovers.
2) The Gulbenkian Museum: Inaugurated in 1969, the award-winning building is a true example of 1960’s Portuguese architecture and it is organised around two lush gardens enabling the visitor to enjoy Nature and Art together. The museum houses an extraordinary mixture of Eastern and Western art, displayed on rotation.
3) LX Factory: A former textile factory converted into a stylish creative hub, it has a hipster shopping vibe. You will find a great selection of shops, restaurants and artists.
4) Embaixada Concept Store: Located in in the hip neighbourhood of Príncipe Real, Embaixada is set in a 19th century Arabian Palace transformed into a stunning shopping gallery that hosts national brands and artists dedicated to Portuguese design, craftsmanship, fashion, gastronomy and culture.
5) A Vida Portuguesa: Created with the aim to preserve traditional Portuguese products and brands, here you will find gorgeous genuine gifts including books, tableware, decorative objects and jewellery.
6) Bairro do Avillez: With so many amazing traditional and new restaurants, you will be spoiled for choice to eat in Lisbon. This place combines great food and atmosphere. Created by one of Lisbon’s leading chef José Avillez, it comprises four beautifully designed areas (bar, tavern, pizzeria and pateo) and serves top-notch Portuguese dishes.
By Juliana Vale - Interior Designer